In Year 5 our main Summer Term project is ‘Our Cumbria’. We usually learn about:
- The geography of mountains, rivers, lakes
- The Water Cycle
- The Lake District National Park
- The history of the wool industry in Kendal and Cumbria
- Landscape art
Here are some ideas of activities you could do if you wanted to learn about this at home:
- Go for a walk, then draw a picture map of your route when you get back. Include geographical features – paths, rivers, woodland
- Create a collage/picture/ video describing the water cycle
- Find out how mountains are formed, make a powerpoint presentation showing the different ways
- Research different famous mountains (Matterhorn, Everest, Ben Nevis, Mt Kilimanjaro). Create a fact file including information and images
- Find out about the history of the wool industry in Kendal. Hill farms, Kendal Coat of Arms, place names in Kendal that show the history – ‘Fleece Inn’. Create a project showing what you have learned
- Watch online videos of how to draw landscapes and mountains – have a go yourself!
- What is a National Park? Why were they created? What other ones are there in the UK?
Hopefully you can bring in any work that you are proud of and share it with the class when we return.